Description: Level Up 3 is part of the Level Up! Series that serves as a workbook in private go schools in Korea. Though designed for children, the content and practice provided is invaluable for adults and children alike.
Title, Level Up 3
Series, Level Up! Series
Author, Lee Jae-Hwan
Translators, Lee Seong-Geun & Daniela Trinks
Supervisor, Yoo Chang-Hyuk (9P)
Published, “1st Edition: July 2008, 3rd Edition: October 15th, 2012”
Length, 168 Pages
- Baduk at the Asian Games 2010
- Capturing and Saving
- How to Play Baduk Well
- Finding Stones to Aim At
- Increasing While Decreasing
- False Eyes & Continuous Atari
- Continuous Atari
- Helping Weak Stones
- Baduk Ranking System
- Strong and Weak Stones
- Life and Death
- 3-Point Eye Shapes
- 4-Point Eye Shapes
- 5-Point Eye Shapes
- Professional Player Lee Changho
- Live and Dead Shapes
- Understanding Life and Death
- Approaches and Enclosures
- Where to Block
- Where to Escape
- Net - Three Liberties
- How to Answer
- Level Test
- Does a great job helping the reader take the next step into learning about life and death.
- The problems continue to be very thorough in ensuring that you fully understand the concepts (i.e., ladders).
- Continues to live up to my expectations of this series.
- A mid to high SDK (single digit kyu) kyu who has read his fair share of go books and has a pretty strong foundation in the basics and teaching go.
- Both Level Up 1 and Level Up 2 had surpassed my expectations, so I was excited for what was store for me in this book!
What did I enjoy about the book?
- The introduction to basic life and death shapes is very thorough.
- The way they progress the reader from simple diagrams to more complicated diagrams still continues to amaze me. A job well done!
- Though Level Up 2 spent a bit of time on ladders, they still have ladder problems to continue honing and refining the reader’s ladder skills.
What did I gain from reading this book?
- Polished my reading fundamentals.
- Increased my speed at analyzing the status between two groups and determining which group to target if any.
- Improved my ability to see basic connections and verify that they cannot be cut regardless of what the opponent tries.
What style of teaching does the book use?
* Content is organized into lessons, topics, or themes in order to facilitate learning.
Primary Learning Mechanism:
* Practice problems.
Other Learning Mechanisms:
* Simple explanations accompanied by equally simple diagrams. * Fun comics to help explain concepts like life and death. * Multiple choice and matching questions to reinforce what the reader is learning. For example, match the number of each move to the right term.
What aspect can be improved on?
- I noticed that the answer book is sometimes incorrect or simply has the wrong diagram. This should be fixed since newer players could find it frustrating or end up learning the incorrect material.
Is this book easy to read?
- Yes. It was very easy to understand all the explanations and progress through the book.
- Though the series is designed for kids, both kids and adults alike will be able to learn everything they need to know about playing go in a fun and entertaining way.
- People who enjoy learning things in an easy to understand format and lots of opportunities to reinforce what they are learning.
- Yellow Mountain Imports - $13.00 USD (shipping and handling not included)
- Baduktopia - E-mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Level Up 1
- Level Up 2
- Level Up 4
- Level Up 5
- Level Up Review 1
- Level Up 6
- Level Up 7
- Level Up 8
- Level Up 9
- Level Up 10
- Level Up Review 2
- Jump Level Up Series
Last Updated on July 11th, 2013