Description: Zeijst and Bozulich provide a foundation for the basic principles of moyos (frameworks of potential territories) with numerous examples from professional games. There are detailed analyses by top professionals along with whole-board problems for the reader to practice what was taught in the earlier chapters. It is an essential book for every player regardless of style due to the inevitable need to know how to either build or counter moyos.
Title, Attacking and Defending Moyos (Volume 7)
Series, Mastering the Basics
Authors, Rob van Zeijst and Richard Bozulich
Published, August 2010
Length, 224 Pages
Number of Problems, 151 Problems
- Some Important Terms and Concepts
- Chapter One - 13 Basic Principles for Attacking and Defending Moyos
- Chapter Two - Example Games
- Chapter Three - 151 Problems
- One Last Example - Moyo and Kiai
- Amazing introductory book on how to deal with moyos.
- Breaks down attacking and defending moyos into 13 basic principles.
- Lots of opportunity to apply and practice the basic principles you learn.
- When it came to moyo (i.e. frameworks), I had one of two weapons in my arsenal: (1) Build the biggest framework possible and hopefully kill anything that comes inside. (2) Always invade my opponent’s framework and try to live. In the rare occasion that I thought to reduce the framework, the timing was usually off.
- By reading this book, I was hoping to gain a more balanced perspective on how to deal with and build moyos. Though I did not have a chance to preview the book, I was also hoping the teaching format would be a combination of explanations along with practice problems.
What did I enjoy about the book?
- I really liked how they broke down attacking and defending moyos into 13 basic principles. Although it may be some time before they stick in my brain, I felt that the one line “proverbs” were very helpful.
- The practice problems they provided were a great test of the principles that they introduced in the beginning of the book.
- The explanations were very clear and usually provided an incorrect variation with an explanation of why it contradicted the 13 basic principles.
What did I gain from reading this book?
- A better understanding of how to attack and defend moyos.
- Greater confidence in dealing with my opponent’s moyos.
- Inadvertently ended up getting a better understanding of whole board thinking since I have an improved ability to see moyos forming before it is way too late.
What style of teaching does the book use?
* There are equal parts explanations, practice problems, along with game commentaries.
* Explanations with example diagrams * Professional games with commentary * Practice problems
What aspect can be improved on?
- I am happy to say that this book is great as it stands!
Is this book easy to read?
- Yes. The explanations are explained using laymen terms and are pretty short and straightforward.
- Players looking for an introduction to dealing with moyos.
- Players looking to reinforce their understanding of dealing with moyos.
- Kiseido - $25.00 USD (shipping and handling not included)
- Mastering the Basics, Volume 1 - 501 Opening Problems
- Mastering the Basics, Volume 2 - 1001 Life and Death Problems
- Mastering the Basics, Volume 3 - Making Good Shape
- Mastering the Basics, Volume 4 - 501 Tesuji Problems
- Mastering the Basics, Volume 5 - The Basics of Go Strategy
- Mastering the Basics, Volume 6 - All About Ko
- Mastering the Basics, Volume 7 - Attacking and Defending Moyos
- Mastering the Basics, Volume 8 - Fight Like a Pro – The Secrets of Kiai
Last Updated on July 16th, 2013