The theme of this week has been: Ben needs to improve his reading abilities. Haha. Many thanks to all those who commented on my WGW post and helped me refocus my time and energy on the correct area of weakness. I even had the pleasure of hanging out with local go player Justin (AGA 7d) who helped to straighten me out a bit. It was a fun time of playing and going over some variations on joseki that I should be familiar with. It certainly showed me that there is still much more I can do to improve, which is always motivating.
Finally, as I continue trying to improve this blog, I have to keep in mind the time and energy required for each post along with whether or not that material I’m writing is even relevant anymore. After all, all of this is meant for your reading enjoyment (and a small percentage for chronicling my own journey)! As a result, over the next few weeks, I’ll be asking for feedback on what you see on this blog to help optimize everything.
To start, I wanted to do a quick poll on your thoughts on this weekly series: Friday Go Forward. So if you don’t mind, please leave a comment below to let me know if you think this series is worth keeping around and/or anything I could do to improve it (i.e., specific things you’d like to see me talk about in my Overview section since I’m sometimes unsure of what to write in here). And if you think it’s good the way it is, it would be good to hear that as well. Thanks!
- Play 3 games a week.
- Complete 1 section of Jump Level Up 1 per day.
- Work on life and death.
- Work on tesuji.
- Replay 1 game of Go Seigen (Time Permitting)
- Jump Level Up 1 by Baduktopia
- All About Life and Death - Volume 1 by Cho Chikun
- Get Strong at Tesuji by Richard Bozulich
- Get Strong at Life and Death by Richard Bozulich
- One must not underestimate the power of “ordinary moves.”
- My idea of being “creative” on the board is the equivalent of stupidity. Haha. And though it sounds hurtful on paper, it was actually a very helpful comment.
- I really need to work on my reading abilities if I want to take my game to the next level.